28.05.2008_No39 / News

EPC Contract Awarded For Proposed Virgil C Summer Units

28 May (NucNet): The Shaw Group’s nuclear division and Westinghouse Electric Company have been awarded an engineering, procurement and construction (EPC) contract for two AP1000 nuclear reactor units planned for the existing Virgil C Summer nuclear power plant site in South Carolina.

The contract was awarded by South Carolina Electric & Gas Company (SCE&G), principal subsidiary of SCANA Corporation, and Santee Cooper, a state-owned electric and water utility. They did not say how much the contract was worth.

The two 1,117-megawatt units, which require federal and state regulatory approval, are scheduled for completion in 2016 and 2019.

SCE&G and Santee Cooper are joint owners and share operating costs and generating output of the existing 966-MW Virgil C Summer plant, which began commercial operation in 1984. SCE&G is the plant operator. A similar arrangement will apply to the two additional units, with SCE&G accounting for 55 percent of the cost and output and Santee Cooper the remaining 45 percent.

The ultimate cost of the two new nuclear units upon completion is estimated at approximately 9.8 billion US dollars (USD) (6.2 billion euro). That is based on the contract price, plus forecast inflation, owner’s costs (for site preparation etc) and contingencies.

SCE&G’s share of that total is about USD 5.4 billion and Santee Cooper’s share is about USD 4.4 billion. Each company will also incur costs related to transmission facilities and certain financing costs related to the project.
Shaw has been involved in engineering and construction planning for the proposed new units for the past two years.

On 31 March 2008, SCE&G submitted a combined construction and operating licence (COL) application to the US Nuclear Regulatory Commission for the units. Approval is expected in 2011, the Shaw Group said.

>>Related reports in the NucNet database (available to subscribers)

SCE&G And Santee Cooper Consider New Nuclear For South Carolina (World Nuclear Review No. 136, 26 August 2005)

US Virgil C Summer Site Selected For Possible New AP1000 Plant (World Nuclear Review No. 7, 17 February 2006)

Agreement Marks ‘Next Step’ Towards New South Carolina Units (News in Brief No. 39, 2 April 2008)

The NucNet database currently contains around 12,000 reports published since 1991. To subscribe or ask for any further information email info@worldnuclear.org

Source: 

NucNet

Editor:

david.dalton@worldnuclear.org

© NucNet a.s.b.l Brussels, Belgium