Work under the contract will include condition assessments of systems, structures and components for the Candu unit, which began commercial operation in December 1996.
Completion of the work will form the basis of the refurbishment for the plant. The project is a key step for Nuclearelectrica in preparation for the life extension of Cernavoda-1, which was the first Candu plant in Europe and is expected to operate for another 30 years.
Ramona Manesco, Romania’s minister for foreign affairs, told a forum in Brussels recently that the country’s objective is to refurbish Cernavodă-1 and by 2030 to build a new unit on the same site, although beyond 2030 the country is considering new Generation IV reactors including small modular reactors.
Ms Manesco gave no details of Romania’s nuclear plans, but her comments appeared to contradict previous announcements that Nuclearelectrica is planning two new units at Cernavodă, where there are two Candu-6 units in commercial operation. Nuclearelectrica has said the two units will also be Candu-6 plants.
In May Nuclearelectrica and China General Nuclear Group signed an agreement to set up a joint venture project company for the planned completion of the two units. CGN will hold a 51% stake in the company with Nuclearelectrica holding the remaining 49%.