Emirates Nuclear Energy Corporation (Enec) did not give any reason for the delay in the start-up of Barakah-1, the United Arab Emirates’ first commercial nuclear power plant. It was scheduled for 2017 following the start of construction in July 2012.
In May 2018 Nawah Energy, the joint venture company formed by Enec and Korean Electric Power Corporation (Kepco) to operate the four-unit Barakah nuclear power station said the loading of nuclear fuel had been delayed “to the end of 2019 and early 2020”.
Want to know more?
- Independent news and information for and about the global nuclear industry
- For nuclear incidents, NucNet operates 24 hours a day, 7 days a week
- Daily, weekly and monthly newsletters
- Access to infographics for subscribers to use in their own editorial and marketing material
- Exclusive analysis and special reports on key nuclear industry topics
- Breaking news on social media
- Access to the 'NucNet Style Guide for Nuclear Reporters and Communicators'
- Access to NucNet editorial database containing more than 18,000 news articles and features from January 1991
- A reliable media and communications partner for the nuclear energy industry. Distribution of your industry news stories
- Manage your own preferences
- Get involved. Members can attend meetings and be part of NucNet's policy and editorial decision-making
Start Free Trial