Country wants 2,500 MW of new reactors, but financing remains an obstacle
South Africa’s announcement that it is developing a roadmap for 2,500 MW of nuclear-powered generating capacity signals a policy revival that opens the door to all types of technologies and reactor sizes from 1,000MW at the higher end to Generation IV small modular reactors (SMRs) that range from 50-300MW.
Want to know more?
- Independent news and information for and about the global nuclear industry
- For nuclear incidents, NucNet operates 24 hours a day, 7 days a week
- Daily, weekly and monthly newsletters
- Access to infographics for subscribers to use in their own editorial and marketing material
- Exclusive analysis and special reports on key nuclear industry topics
- Breaking news on social media
- Access to the 'NucNet Style Guide for Nuclear Reporters and Communicators'
- Access to NucNet editorial database containing more than 18,000 news articles and features from January 1991
- A reliable media and communications partner for the nuclear energy industry. Distribution of your industry news stories
- Manage your own preferences
- Get involved. Members can attend meetings and be part of NucNet's policy and editorial decision-making
Start Free Trial