ASN said priority given in EDF’s dismantling and decommissioning plan for the removal of fuel before 2023 is justified because it allows risks at the site to be substantially reduced. Fuel removal would be part of the preparation for dismantling.
However, ASN said the level of detail in the plan is insufficient given the closeness of the planned dates for the final shutdowns. EDF said in September 2019 that Unit 1 will shut down on 22 February 2020 and Unit 2 on 30 June 2020.
Want to know more?
- Independent news and information for and about the global nuclear industry
- For nuclear incidents, NucNet operates 24 hours a day, 7 days a week
- Daily, weekly and monthly newsletters
- Access to infographics for subscribers to use in their own editorial and marketing material
- Exclusive analysis and special reports on key nuclear industry topics
- Breaking news on social media
- Access to the 'NucNet Style Guide for Nuclear Reporters and Communicators'
- Access to NucNet editorial database containing more than 18,000 news articles and features from January 1991
- A reliable media and communications partner for the nuclear energy industry. Distribution of your industry news stories
- Manage your own preferences
- Get involved. Members can attend meetings and be part of NucNet's policy and editorial decision-making
Start Free Trial