At the first US-EU High-Level Industrial Forum on Small Modular Reactors, Mr Birol said SMR technology is particularly appealing at a time when some major nuclear plant projects in advanced economies face delays and cost overruns.
He said tackling the challenge of climate change and meeting the world’s other sustainable energy goals will require policy makers to make use of a range of low-carbon fuels and technologies, and this includes nuclear power.
Want to know more?
- Independent news and information for and about the global nuclear industry
- For nuclear incidents, NucNet operates 24 hours a day, 7 days a week
- Daily, weekly and monthly newsletters
- Access to infographics for subscribers to use in their own editorial and marketing material
- Exclusive analysis and special reports on key nuclear industry topics
- Breaking news on social media
- Access to the 'NucNet Style Guide for Nuclear Reporters and Communicators'
- Access to NucNet editorial database containing more than 18,000 news articles and features from January 1991
- A reliable media and communications partner for the nuclear energy industry. Distribution of your industry news stories
- Manage your own preferences
- Get involved. Members can attend meetings and be part of NucNet's policy and editorial decision-making
Start Free Trial